shot-from-the-hip

Thursday, May 14, 2009


Rick Raw: Tiger Woods Makes Golf Look Way Too Easy–Life is Easy, Golf is Hard


While watching the Player’s Championship last week, I reminisced about my frustrating years of playing golf. I grew up with an avid golfer–my father. He was a ranked amateur and as young as twelve, I caddied for him and learned the game. Dad started playing for the exercise and to relieve the stress of his business ownership.

Almost immediately, he caught the golf bug. Soon, golf had taken over his life and he was sneaking off early in the morning to get in 9 holes before going to the office. Although my dad and I didn’t get along, I admired his spirit and determination to become a great golfer. Over the years, on a good day, he shot par, and on a bad day, 80, with no handicap. It was good enough to enter amateur tournaments. Consistently shooting par golf was his lofty goal.

As for me, I was struggling to break 90. But for one who has never played, golf may look easy, but the reality of one’s first round is a rude awakening. There are so many subtle skills involved. Golf requires superior hand-eye coordination, an even disposition, and above all, the ability to not get frustrated or angry over mistakes. Developing a correct swing is paramount.

Once, my dad played a pro-am with Sam Snead and I caddied for my dad. Snead had the most technically and aesthetically beautiful swing of any golfer-- past or present. It was machine-like in its repeatability. His philosophy was to keep the ball in the middle of the fairway, even if it wasn’t hit long, and make every shot count. On a par 5, he could put his second shot on the green with a 3 wood. Today, Tiger Woods and other pros can hit 300 yards plus off the tee. Then they’re into their short game.

For years, I took lessons from a club pro. But, no matter how hard I tried, golf was an epic battle with my self-control and the golf course. In every round I played, the golf course won. One day, I decided enough is enough, life is too stressful, so I quit golf before I joined the Air Force.

Years later, when I was in the music business and a friend talked me into playing again. I bought some decent clubs and we went out to Hyde Park. Surprisingly, I did pretty well. I was still having serious swing problems and my hand-eye coordination was worse than before. I seemed to spend more time in the woods than on the fairways. And, if there was water hazard, my ball was a water seeking missile straight into the lake. I continued to play on and off, but I was so busy it was difficult to find the time for a round of golf.

Still, whether one is chasing bad shots or not, golf does take you mind off your worries. Hell, life is easy–golf is hard. Golf teaches you about yourself and your temperament. After embarrassing myself too many times on the golf course, I learned to control my anger and take a more relaxed attitude toward the game and life.

In today’s golf world, every pro golfer is chasing Tiger Woods. He raised the standards exponentially. On his Saturday round in the TCP, Tiger had a shot roll up near a tree. Incredibly, he switched to a left handed swing and reversed his club. He ended up with a bogey, but it could have been even worse. Alas, Tiger struggled and did not win. He still finished 5 under par.

The few times Tiger gets in the rough or woods, his bag of trick shots save him every time. From Friday to Saturday, he moved up to second place on the leader board. When Tiger is on the hunt for victory, he gets super hot. In contrast, other golfers fold under the pressure. Tiger is the undisputed best golfer in the sport for his extraordinary skill under pressure and his drive to win.

However, Tiger makes it look way too easy, it can be disheartening for young people to be inspired by his incredible ability. If a young person has the intrinsic talent, and great guidance from proven instructors, then they can strive to become pros. Beware of getting discouraged. Golf is a game of great skill and patience. It’s you against yourself and the golf course. The golf course usually wins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home